This documentation describes the Open Archives API.
- API calls are throttled per IP address to 4 requests per second (Leaky Bucket).
- All methods are free to use, except methods marked with an asterisk (*) which require an API key, contact Open Archives to apply for one.
- All output is in UTF-8 and cached (server-side and via max-age header) for a day, unless otherwise specified.
- Search v1.1 - searches the genealogical data set and returns the found persons (and records)
- Match v1.0 - searches for records where a person identified by name and birthyear is mentioned
- Show v1.1 - shows one specific genealogical record
- Years ago v1.1 - lists people born years ago
- Weather v1.0 - historical weather measurements
- Census v1.0 - information about the Dutch population
- Add (*) v1.0 - adds a comment to a record
- Delete (*) v1.0 - deletes a comment
- List v1.0 - lists comments made on records
Open Archives URI
Records presented on Open Archives all have an URI. This URI resolves to content based on content-negotiation.
Open Archives shares all the data in downloadable file exports (in CSV, XML and RDF).
Open Archives provides search results as defined by the Open Search specification. There's an OpenSearch description document for each language: NL, EN, DE & FR.
Want to harvest the genealogical data?
Open Archives also provides an OAI-PMH data provider for harvesting.
Find your ancestors and publish your family tree on Genealogy Online via https://www.genealogieonline.nl/en/